The Adult Protective Services Worker (APSW) program supports adults (18+) in South Frontenac County who are living on their own with a developmentally disability. The APSW supports adults with developmental disabilities to live as independently, safely and securely as possible in the community.
The relationship between the Adult Protective Service Worker (APSW) and the individual with a developmental disability is voluntary and confidential.
The APSW works alongside the individual to develop a trusting, respectful working relationship. The APSW encourages active participation and self-determination by the individual when it comes to setting and working towards his/her goals.
The APSW Program…
- Advocates on behalf of the individual to help him/her access and maintain community supports and services
- Provides information about resources and makes referrals to agreed upon service agencies
- Provides the individual with information on his/her rights and encourages anyone living with disabilities to acquire self-advocacy skills
- Advocates on behalf of the individual in order to access and maintain community support services
- May provide case coordination, case management, and consultative services
- Liaises with other service providers to determine and address service issues and gaps.
Developing Community Capacity
The APSW plays an active role in increasing community awareness about the needs of adults who have a developmental disability and the positive contributions to society they can make. The APSW encourages the individual to utilize Natural Support—the support and assistance that flows naturally from personal associations and relationships that are typically developed with natural environments such as family and community.
The Adult Protective Service Workers employed through Resolve Counselling Services Canada, are affiliated with the Adult Protective Service Association of Ontario (APSAO). More information about APSAO and its activities can be found at www.apsao.org.
Accessing the APSW Program
In order to access the APSW program through Resolve Counselling Services Canada, individual eligibility for services must be confirmed by the local Developmental Service Organization (DSO) office in Napanee.
|For more information on the eligibility confirmation process, please call DSO directly at (613) 354-7977 or contact us at (613) 549-7850.|
The Ministry of Community and Social Services is committed to promoting the safety and well-being of adults with developmental disabilities and has taken important steps to support the prevention and reporting of abuse within the adult developmental services system. If you suspect that someone is being abused, you can call 1-800-575-2222 or email reportONdisability@ontario.ca.
To learn more about this program visit www.Ontario.ca.ReportON.